Sabrina is celebrating her 17th birthday, which means that besides presents, she gets her copy of the witches' handbook and instructions to study it for a forthcoming test so that she can receive her Witch's License. But she must also cope with her classwork (including extra algebra), her responsibilities to Harvey (including baking cookies and making a poster of him for the school dance), her shy new friend Valerie, and Libby's plot to take over as editor-in-chief of the school newspaper. When exhaustion causes her to fail her preliminary exam that her Quizmaster gives her, Sabrina is sentenced to witch boot camp.
Meanwhile, after the aunt's bond from the 1600's matures, Salem takes off with some of the cash to buy new cat toys and a meal at a sushi bar.
Sabrina: Is it time for the test?
Quiz master: Are you kidding? You are not ready. This is a warning. You haven't cracked this hand. I mean, not even the knuckles. Hey, I liked that one.
Hilda: Let me guess, you failed your first try?
Sabrina: I'll get it next time.
Zelda: I'm sure you will. But unfortunately, there's a penalty.
Sabrina: No dessert?
Uses of Magic
- Sabrina makes breakfast appear on the table.
- Hilda puts Goody Two Shoes on Zelda.
- The quizmaster appears and later spins to disappear.
- The quizmaster makes the 'Hand'book appear.
- The quizmaster freezes time and speeds time up.
- Zelda attempts to send the 'Hand'book to Sabrina, but Zelda stops her.
- Sabrina makes cookies appear.
- The quizmaster makes the cookies disappear.
- Hilda and Zelda make thought bubbles appear. Hilda pops Zelda's.
- Hilda makes a giant coin appear.
- Sabrina appears and disappears in a train.
To Divert Trains
(Cast by Sabrina Spellman )
- Trains are big and they are leaded,
- Move them away from where they're headed.
- This episode marks the only hour long season premiere of Sabrina.
- Lindsay Sloane (Valerie), Alimi Ballard (Quizmaster), and Martin Mull (Mr. Kraft) join the cast.
- Jenny and Mr. Pool have vanished without any explanation.
- Mary Gross also makes her debut in this episode as Sabrina's slightly daffy teacher Mrs. Quick. Though never an official cast member, Mrs. Quick will appear in a total of 20 Sabrina episodes during seasons 2, 3, and 4.
- Sabrina uses Molecular Transference for the first time in this episode; this later becomes one of Sabrina's most used acts of magic.